Medicare Contact Information:

Medicare Enrollment:

  • If you are not drawing Social Security you can enroll in Medicare by doing the following 90 days prior to when you want your Part B(Medical) to start:
  1. Register online at: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/medicareonly/
  2. Call Social Security at 800-772-1213
  3. Visit your local Social Security office and register in person

Applying for Medicare Part B after 65:

  • If you have PART A (Hospital) but did not apply for your PART B (Medical) when you turned 65 because you were still working and covered under your employers group coverage or you were covered under your spouse’s group coverage because they were still working, here are the 2 forms you will need and instructions on what to do:
  1. Have the company or HR department under which you have the group insurance coverage fill out the CMS-L564 Form. This will show Social Security that you were covered since you were 65 under credible coverage. You can visit your local Social Security office with the completed form up to 90 days prior to you needing your Part B (Medical) to start. Here is the link to that form you can print off: http://www.losrios.edu/business/G-CMS-L564.pdf
  2. You will also need to complete the CMS-40B form which is the application for your Part B (Medical) up to 90 days prior to you needing it to start. You will turn this completed form along with the CMS-L564 completed form into your local Social Security office. Here is the link to that form you can print off: http://www.swcaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/CMS-40B_508.pdf
  3. You are done!!! Welcome to MEDICARE with your Part A (Hospital) and now your Part B (Medical) referred to as ORIGINAL MEDICARE.

Apply for Social Security Benefits Online:

Apply for Railroad Retirement:

  • You can check eligibility or apply for Medicare by calling: 877-772-5772, www.rrb.org

Medicare and You 2017 Handbook:

Replace a Medicare Card:

Extra Help with Medicare Prescription Drug Plan Costs:

    • Medicare beneficiaries may qualify for Extra Help also called LIS (Low Income Subsidy) for their prescription drug costs premiums if they have limited resources and income. The below information may change so be sure to get updated information by call 800-772-1213 or by going to the following link: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/prescriptionhelp/

To Qualify for extra help:

  • You must reside in one of the 50 states or the District of Columbia;
  • Have resources limited to $13,820 for an individual or $27,600 for a married couple living together. Resources include such things as bank accounts, stocks, and bonds. We do not count your home, car, or any life insurance policy as resources; and
  • Your annual income must be limited to $18,090 for an individual or $24,360 for a married couple living together. Even if your annual income is higher, you still may be able to get some help. Some examples where you may have higher income and still qualify for extra help include if you or your spouse support other family members who live with you, have earnings from work, or live in Alaska or Hawaii.